Ancient Petrucci Palace - Province of Lecce - Trepuzzi, jewel of sixteenth century architecture
Ancient Petrucci Palace in the historic center of Trepuzzi, a jewel of sixteenth-century architecture. Built starting from the sixteenth century, the building is located in the ancient core of the town, next to the Mother Church. Since 1998 it has been recognized of historical and artistic interest.
The carparo building is divided into two bodies: the oldest one, adjacent to the church square, is spread over two levels, the last of which is incomplete, without a roof, and decorated with sculptural decorations; the other body, the one to the right of the entrance portal, consists of two floors that correspond in height to the ground floor of the aforementioned building. On the main façade there is a rusticated portal with a round arch, surmounted by the coat of arms of the Petrucci-Giugni family and enriched by shelves decorated with naturalistic motifs. The coat of arms, made of carparo, consists of a shield on top of which two helmets with crests are depicted, facing each other. On the left side of the shield you can see an eagle with a crowned head and a stone in its claws (to symbolize the name of the family). On the right side there are three goat legs. To the left of the entrance portal there is a window and a French door surmounted by mixtilinear gables with volutes. On the first floor there is a loggia with a stone balustrade set on carved shelves.
The Interior and the court :
The building basically consists of three parts:
1. the central body, of greater value and representation, so to speak, with an internal garden / citrus grove;
2. always on the façade side, a series of rooms on the ground floor and basements (the old stables, warehouses and sheds) and rooms on the upper floor
3. then there are some rooms accessible only from the side street, built at a later time. From Corso Umberto, through a door on the facade, you enter an entrance hall through which you enter the main entrance of the house and a pair of side warehouses.
The internal entrance of the house leads to the relative rooms facing it and to the internal courtyard (citrus grove). The internal division includes an entrance hall with living room – gallery; counterclockwise from the right leads to a library, a bedroom, a kitchen with pantry, 5 bedrooms (continuously), corridors and services. From the central courtyard characterized by a charming citrus grove, you can access a section of the property, which belongs to another property
The courtyard Garden
inside the building on three sides lies a garden courtyard, with a citrus grove of singular beauty, which characterizes the architecture of this important building.
Built starting from the sixteenth century, the building is located in the ancient core of the town, next to the Mother Church. The building, in carparo, is divided into two bodies. On the main façade there is a rusticated portal with a round arch, surmounted by the coat of arms of the Petrucci-Giugni family and enriched by shelves decorated with naturalistic motifs. On the first floor there is a loggia with a stone balustrade set on carved shelves. The interior is characterized by various rooms, among which a room is distinguished, which is part of the original core of the building, covered by a barrel vault with lunette with decorated corbels and a door on whose architrave, in a cartouche we read: DOMVS FREQVENTATA DVLCESCIT / ET MALE CONTINVATA / TAEDIVM PARIT / 1601 (“When the house is frequented it becomes sweet, when it is abandoned it produces boredom”)
The development potential of the pavement and the roof terraces with the pre-existing volumes:
It is possible to envisage, within the more general redevelopment of this building, a new function for the roof pavement, terraces and volumes currently existing, integrating them with the development and concept of the new distribution of the environments. It is also possible to exploit part of the roofs of the volumes that are located in this space, to install technological units for the production of energy through renewable sources (solar capture \ rainwater collection)
Current portion for sale:
The current morphology provides for the spaces represented in the plan but a possible annexation of further sections of adjacent areas to complete a possible conversion through a further enhancement of the environments with possible new functions cannot be excluded. In the side plan it is possible to observe, by comparing the plan below, the current layout of the rooms of the surface available for purchase.
Aerial photo of the property limits
Physical geography Territory:
The municipal territory of Trepuzzi, which occupies an area of 23.67 km², has a flat morphology and is between 33 and 60 meters above sea level. It rises in the central-northern part of the Salento plain (or Tavoliere di Lecce), a vast and uniform lowland of Salento between the terraced hills of the Murge to the north and the Serre Salentine to the south. It is part of the Valle della Cupa, that is to say that portion of the plain around the Lecce capital, characterized by a large karst depression.
Seismic classification: zone 4 (very low seismicity), PCM Ordinance n. 3274 of 20/03/2003.
From a meteorological point of view Trepuzzi is part of the eastern Salento area which has a Mediterranean climate, with mild winters and hot humid summers. Spring and summer are characterized by long periods of drought. Referring to the windiness, the municipalities of eastern Salento are strongly influenced by the wind through cold currents of Balkan origin, or hot currents of African origin.
Trepuzzi climatic classification: Climatic zone: C.
Trepuzzi is historically inserted in the Land of Otranto, in the province of Lecce and in the diocese itself. Like all the other Salento urban centers, Trepuzzi also followed the fate and events of invasions and dominations, from the Romans to the Goths, from the Greeks to the Lombards, to the Normans; it was later subjected to the Swabians, the Angevins, the Principality of Taranto, the Aragonese, the Turks who sacked it, the French and once again the Bourbons and finally the Royals of Savoy. The first documentary traces date back to 1190, when King Tancredi, after the death of his uncle William the Good, became Count of Lecce and assigned all the hamlets in his countryside to the Bishop of Lecce.
The Church of Maria Santissima Assunta
Located next to Palazzo Petrucci, it is the mother church of Trepuzzi and dates back to the early 17th century. It was originally dedicated to St. Peter the Apostle; the dedication to Our Lady of the Assumption took place only starting from 1792. The church was erected in 1603 on a pre-existing building, of smaller dimensions. It has a bare horizontal crowning facade, modeled only by some large pilasters and opened by a gabled portal. The entrance portal is surmounted by a late eighteenth-century lobed window. The bell tower, built to replace the old one, was built in Baroque style between 1921 and 1928. The interior, in the shape of a Latin cross with a single nave, is divided into four spans marked by short chapels.
From a pagan legend it is said that in the locality near Sant’Angelo, at the time of the Romans, there was an altar dedicated to the god Bacchus where the patricians of nearby Lupiae met for the Bacchanalia with parties, dances, revels, revels and orgies , hence the name of “Tripudium” given to the place. Over the centuries the center grew and enlarged thanks to the decline of the Terenzano hamlet. The fiefdom of Trepuzzi and the subfeud of Terenzano were subjected to the Acquaviva D’Aragona, counts of Conversano, who obtained the title of marquis. Over the years, the fiefdom was the subject of various disputes, which arose among the heirs of the Acquaviva, and was seized several times by the Royal Tax Office due to the lack of direct heirs. In 1725, Duke Francesco Carignani, also a hereditary, was given the task of governing it. Later, Duke Francesco Carignani himself bought the fiefdom of Trepuzzi and the subfeud of Terenzano in the year 1753.
For more information, contact Arch. Alessandro Mori or send a request via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference links: Recommended as a place of art by ansa.it > AnsaViaggiArt
Petrucci Palace in Trepuzi > Wikipedia information